Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WHAT ARE WE TEACHING OUR GIRLS?

I think I am suffering from a huge case of growing older, well maybe not older but maturing and having a different perspective on things.

This weekend I took my son to see Mindless Behavior in concert.  The tour was geared toward little girls as 3 of the acts were male performers.  Well, there were girls dressed cute and appropriate for their ages and there were other girls dressed as if they were ready to go to the club except for the fact they were under 21.  What message are we sending our girls?

So this morning I listened to a song I've heard many times but it hit me this song is sending the wrong message.  The song I'm referring to is Brandy's new hit Put It Down.  Now I completely understand this is not the 1st song that sends out the wrong message but this is a song that had my mind racing.

Here is a bit of the lyrics.....

imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it down, you can fall in love
imma put it, imma put it, imma put it¦
imma put it down

[chorus]
if you put it down right like the way i want it
play your cards right, maybe we can fall in love
if you put it, put it, if you put it down
if you put it, put it, maybe we can fall in love

This song is equating sex with love and the message I get from it is if he puts it on her and she puts it on him they will fall in love.  In this day and age when sex is overly sold and put on display this is the wrong message for our young girls to hear.  It is also the wrong message for our boys as well of course.

As I started this blog maybe I'm just growing older and maturing and looking at things differently.  Maybe because I am a parent I am more conscious of what I listen to and the message behind it as well. 

Am I over reacting?  What message are we sending our girls?  I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment