Sunday, December 23, 2012

Holistic Approach to the US Violence Crisis? Teach Social and Other Skills in School!

Violence unfortunately is a CRISIS in the US society.  Many a days I wish I never introduced my child to TV.  I think about the nights I watched Law & Order and other shows around him, his love for the WWE, and even his exposure to some of the violent video games (not in my home).  Let alone what is seen on the daily news (I rarely watch).  Violence is everywhere in our society.

Children nowadays are faced with a lot of issues, drugs in their home or families, violent tragedies, hunger, poverty etc.  How can we as a society help these children develop into productive members of society?  I think about Columbine, those boys chose to shoot up their classmates because they were being bullied or outcast for being different. 

My solution, incorporate coping mechanisms, anger and stress management, conflict resolution, and how to deal with bullying/teasing and how not to be a bully.  After all of the violence and shootings in schools amongst students why haven't these things be incorporated?  After Columbine, schools implemented a zero tolerance policy.  While watching Washington Watch I heard of 6 year olds being hand cuffed and taken out of school for throwing a tantrum????? How is the world does that solve the problem.

As I and many know prison is not a place of rehabilitation.  Of course the 6 year old didn't go to prison but imagine the psyhcological damage that was potentially caused to the 6 year after being handcuffed?


What do school counselors do?  What is there purpose?  I heard that mental health is hard to obtain in black and brown communities.  I also heard that many parents aren't receptive to mental health care.  I am here to admit my son is receiving counseling services.  He has taken a disruptive behavior and social skills group therapy sessions.  He also receives one on one services.  Why? Because as a mother I am willing to do whatever it takes to help my child.  All parents may not be the same but then I wonder what if these were courses taught every year in school?  All students would receive the same training and no student would feel out of place. 

The social skills group teaches how to deal with being teased, how to share, take turns, how to stop and think before reacting, amongst other things.  What if these courses were incorporated into the curriculum and students took these classes every year from 1st to 12th grade?  I'm not saying that the problems of violence would be solved.  I am saying that children would learn how to better deal with situations and then it would be there personal choice how to react in situations.

As in life it is not about what happens to us but our reactions.  We have to learn that we have choices and we control and our in control of ourselves only. 

So yes, gun control measures and bans on certain weapons and mental health access are needed BUT we can take it a step further and incorporate social skills and other classes so children know how to cope and deal with the many issues they are facing in their lives.

Your thoughts?????

No comments:

Post a Comment