Tuesday, December 25, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas

The older I get the more I have mixed feelings and emotions about Christmas especially once I learned the truth about the holiday (holy day) itself and how it came to be.  Even though Christ or Yeshua was not born on December 25th, he was a model example of how to love and there is no true harm in celebrating his birth,  as his life and death brought great meaning to many.  The fact that we celebrate his birth on a day we know he wasn't born however bothers me but nevertheless it is what is!

Christ is one of and the main reasons for Christmas as we know it today and that is why I love the holiday.  However, I could choose to celebrate him daily or whenever I choose to. Why so much importance on gift giving?  Giving the latest/greatest and most expensive?  Why do merchants capitalize off of this holy I mean holiday? (well I already know the answer to that).  Yet, many holidays celebrated bother me because they have been polluted, distorted, and exploited.

Even those who are Christians, while they pray and celebrate the savior many still get wrapped up into gift giving, going in debt to ensure their children, family, friends, and whomever they want to buy presents for have a Merry Christmas.  Why can't life, love, happiness, peace, and joy be enough for Christmas?

Yes, I have a child and yes I buy him Christmas presents, why?  Because I started this tradition when he was born before I knew any better.  However, I do not go all out and break the bank.  I know the way you start is the way you must finish and each year more will be expected than from the last.  I'm grateful my son is happy just to have presents, no matter how many gifts, I can remember him saying one year "Santa brought all these presents".  At most since my son has been born I've spent $300 on Christmas and this year I will tell you I spent less than $100.  Yes you read that correctly!!!!  Taking my son to school a week ago or so, he told me if there weren't any presents under the tree from me to him, he was taking my gift back and getting a refund.  I told him that isn't nice, that isn't what Christmas is about.  I give and do for him all year round.  He said he didn't care!

I want my son to understand the true meaning of Christmas and I never want him to feel sad, depressed, or any negative emotions over a man made holiday.  Which leads to why I hate (well that's a strong word but you get it) Christmas.  This is a time of year where many are saddened, depressed, feel lonely, despair and choose to commit suicide.  This is a time where many parents cannot give their children anything for Christmas and they are filled with negative feelings about their inability and may feel inadequate, when that is NOT what the season is about!!!!!

Therefore we see toy drives and different things for the "least" fortunate.  Now I 100% understand poverty and that many live in poverty BUT why do possessions dictate wealth to begin with? I read yesterday that if you have a roof over your head, clothes on your back and shoes on your feet you are more well off than 75% of the people in the world!  What happened to being rich in love, spirit, joy, faith, and the things that truly matter?  I've been fortunate that I have always had growing up and had the ability to give to my son since he's been born and for that I am grateful BUT I know that me spending time, giving my love and guidance is what is important and what he will never forget.  Think about it, unless you received something you REALLY wanted that you can time date, what did you get for Christmas at 14, 5, 7, etc.????? Guaranteed you can't remember.  Why? Because those things fade BUT I guarantee you can remember if you were loved growing up, the time you spent with your parents, guardians etc., the important things of life.

Nevertheless, many want to do things for their children, they want their children to experience the joy of opening gifts they wanted and I completely get that BUT I feel that if we truly from birth taught our children the true meaning of Christmas maybe many would be less stressed and depressed as adults.

I also think what if parents and people gave gifts that keep on giving.  Like life insurance, savings accounts, stocks, bonds, books, educational toys, games, and science kits.  Give gifts that give your child a leg up in life!  I firmly believe if you are spending more money on gifts for your children than they have in a college fund or when you turn 21 fund there is something wrong BUT I will save that for another blog.

For the shoppers I encourage you to shop and save especially if you shop online sign up with www.upromise.com when you shop in store, online, purchase gas, airline tickets at select merchants a % of your purchase goes into a savings account for you, your child, or someone elses.  Shop and save!!!

When you get a chance if you are unsure how and why we celebrate the birth of Christ, here is a good place to START your research http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas .

I leave you with an excerpt from a woman who has a great spirit and mind, we found each other on Twitter (@geeisdope "Jesus was not born in the winter... but let's say he was... and tomorrow is a celebration of his born day...How much of CHRISTmas are you dedicating to Christ? Christ is a title a man named yeshua hamashia(ch) recieved once he reached the 33rd dregree of....but anyway... a level of consciousness of the truest knowledge of love... despite of all the knowledge he had, he used it all for love...To the point, where he allowed his life to be sacrificial in a way that most people can not, and will not.He was a real person... His life is really documented outside of the bible... But even the bible is descriptiveof his birth... and there is no way he was born in the winter... but, people use the lies of the very people they speak against to validate their disbelief. Nowhere in the bible does it mandate the celebration of Christmas. In fact it was introduced by the Romans as a way to convert pagans who worshipped the sun on the winter solace... because they stole and then confused African... I mean Egyptian... theology... And what better way to make it an easy transition from worshipping the sun, to worshipping the son?  The purpose of holidays is to celebrate holy things... which was the reason a pagan holiday was inverted.  Christmas for example... is about giving... not receiving.  If we apply CHISTmas only to CHRIST. He gave his life to people who gave him nothing."
 
Scripture says to study to show yourself approved, scripture also says that the truth shall set you free.  Excuse me in advance for saying that, knowing the bible backwards and forewords is great BUT one must also get out there and study other text, historical backgrounds etc. to get a better understanding of the Bible and what things meant for the time it was written, why certain things were written the way they were etc. IN ORDER to truly completely understand the WORD.  One can also pray, meditate and ask for REVELATION knowledge.  BUT even if one thinks they UNDERSTAND and KNOW EVERYTHING, if they aren't living and operating in love their knowledge is somewhat in vain.  Knowledge is important as people perish for lack there of.....My point, do you celebrate Christmas and other holidays because of tradition or because you have studied and understand why each holiday is celebrated?
 
Finally I love Christmas because it is a time of joy, happiness, family, friends, giving, receiving and a day of rest and relaxation from work.  I "hate" Christmas because it is exploited, misused, and people suffer, kill themselves, and fall into deep depressions during this time unnecessarily because as a people who celebrate, the majority of us have lost the true meaning of this holy day.
 
Be blessed and be a blessing, peace, love, joy, happiness and love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment