Wednesday, January 20, 2010

REFLECTIONS OF GRATITUDE

This past Sunday my Pastor challenged us as a church to sacrifice for the nation of Haiti. He asked us to join him as a church in a 3-day fast. We would do the Daniel fast from 6A-6P Monday - Wednesday. I thought to myself no problem. Then he asked us to donate $ last Sunday and this upcoming Sunday. I thought I already gave to Yele Haiti but I will donate with my church as well. Finally he asked us to fast from media and cell phones from 6P-12A as well. Meaning no TV, Internet, computers, magazines, newspapers, etc.

Monday by 3P all I could think about was food! So I told myself I will just go to sleep until 6P. Up to that point I'd eaten an apple and banana and drank some water. At 6P I turned the TV off and began to read a book. My son asked what could he do I told him he could play or read a book. He was sleep by 7:30P and I went down around my usual time of 8:30P.

Last night I did a lot of praying and praising as well as this morning. And then it hit me. I am sacrificing for people who right now have nothing. No water, food. clothing, toilet paper for that matter and I am walking around as if it is the end of the world because my diet is limited and I can't use my phone after 6P. How ungrateful am I?

I began to think about others in 3rd world countries adults and children that go without food and clean water all day on a regular basis.

Then I had to tell myself there is so much to be grateful for that is taken for granted daily. The fact that I woke up in a bed with sheets and covers, I have heat to keep me warm in the winter and air to keep me cool in the summer, running clean water in my home, a bathroom in my home, toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, lotion, those basic necessities that many people do not have daily if at all.

I began to reflect on how if we don't feel like cooking we can drive to a restaurant sit down, walk-in, or drive-thru and cure our hunger pangs and I just began to Praise and Thank God for being born in America and to be living here!

There is so much to be grateful for daily that we could come up with a different thing everyday and probably never run out of things to be grateful for!

So I encourage you today to find something in your life to be grateful for. To recognize that you despite your situation or circumstance right now are blessed and that you have a wonderful life whether you are unemployed, underemployed, living in a shelter etc. Be grateful and appreciate the good times, the bad times, and the in between. Your gratefulness and praise in all situations will please God!

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment