Wednesday, March 20, 2013

UBUNTU: COLLECTIVISM VS. COMPETITION

'UBUNTU' in the Xhosa culture means: "I am because we are"

An anthropologist proposed a game to the kids in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the kids that who ever got there first won the sweet fruits. W
hen he told them to run they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that as one could have had all the fruits for himself they said: ''UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?''

'UBUNTU' in the Xhosa culture means: "I am because we are"(VIA Ramomart.com FaceBook)


This moved me so and also made me think.  Now I agree that the Most High blesses those that have their own BUT we are blessed to be a blessing.  

I must say had this happened in America, the end result would have not been the same.  Are we teaching our children the importance of all for one and one for all?  Are we embodying this ideal ourselves?  After all we live in a society where the wealthiest 1% employ 99% of the people.  We live in a society where competition is encouraged.  We live in a society where the haves look down on the "have" nots BUT...what if the haves shared with the have nots?  What if people realized when enough was enough and it was time to give and share?  

This message speaks to me as well as I have clothing in my closet that still has the tags on it yet I want more, sometimes I feel that I don't have enough because I'm comparing myself to others and what society says success and wealth should be.  

I'm sure I would have been a kid racing to get the fruit first and had I not been first I would have been upset. Then my thoughts go to the winner. How comfortable could the winner be?

Would they feel comfortable sitting and eating their fruit while the others went hungry?  Would they share their fruit with the others or feel its theirs only because they won fair and square?  Would those without fruit try to take/steal the fruit from the winner? Would the others be jealous and envious of the winner?  After eating the fruit would the others still be friends with the winner?

These are questions that are true for our society.  There are many have nots that have to steal or feel they have to steal in order to feed their families.  While there are families that throw away left overs regularly if not daily.  Many of us think, I'm not a hundred thousandnaire let alone a millionaire I have nothing to give.  This is so far from the truth.  Many of those that are blessed must first recognize their blessings.

If you woke up this morning, in a home, with running water, gas, heat, electricity, food in the pantry and refrigerator, YOU ARE BLESSED.  Not only are you blessed, you can be a blessing to someone else.


UBUNTU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a blessing and be blessed! Namaste! Peace! Love! Joy! Health! Ubuntu!

No comments:

Post a Comment