Monday, November 2, 2009

WISDOM FROM THE PSALMS: SELFISHNESS TO SELFLESSNESS

Psalm 131:2Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.

Thomas got so sick of his sister telling him to grow up and act his age. Sure, he blew his temper sometimes, but so what? Everybody does. Who did she thing she was, telling him to grow up? He was plenty grown-up. It was other people who needed to grow up, not him. Anybody who thought differently just didn't know what he was talking about.
At some point in our lives, we pass from thinking only of ourselves to thinking of others. We become less defensive and more peaceful. We admit when we are wrong, and we affirm others in their opinions. The Apostle Paul says that we must come to a place in our lives where we put aside childish things. Christian maturity comes when we begin to think less of self, more of those around us. There are times in all our lives where the message is clear: We need to grow up.

Prayer:
Help me to grow and mature in my faith, Lord. Turn my attention to the needs of others. Turn my selfishness into selflessness. Amen


* Copyright 2009 Salem Web Network and its Content Providers. All rights reserved.

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment