Monday, April 5, 2010

PART TIME CHRISTIANS?

Yesterday I attended service with my mom at Fellowship on the South Side of Chicago led by Pastor Jenkins.

A part of his sermon inspired me to write this blog, Part-Time Christians. Pastor Jenkins stated that as many know church attendance rises on Easter Sunday. Alarmingly though only 50% of people will return next Sunday. Is it enough to just attend church on CME? Christmas, Mother's Day, and Easter? Who determines what a part-time Christian is and who sets the standard for what followers of Christ should behave like?

Of course the answer is God.......Hebrews 10:25 tells us "25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Matthew 18:20 "20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Now the church is our physical bodies and not a physical building so do people have to attend a physical building to attend church service? Are those who attend church regularly truly living for God or are they just going through the motions? Is it possible to have a better relationship with Christ if you pray regularly, fast, tithe, and have gatherings in your home or amongst friends than someone who attends the physical building?

I believe it is important to attend the physical building as there is something about the gathering that ministers to my soul, there is always a word spoken that speaks to me and gets me through the day and the week. However, that is what works for me. As a Christian it is not my responsibility to impose my beliefs on anyone. I would love for all to believe and confess that Jesus is the son of God, he died and on the 3rd day he rose again yet I cannot force it.

I also believe that Christians need to be less condemning and more compassionate, less judgmental and concerned more with what is just.

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment