Thursday, March 8, 2012

ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS

ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS

Monday night, I watched the TI show well actually it was more like 2:30A this morning but anyway. Their son Major whom I believe is 3 said "daddy can I have $50". TI asked his son why he thought he had $50, the son replied because you are out of jail. TI and his wife, Tiny, then start talking about the boys being able to make their own money. Their son King, 7, left out of the room and came back with a duffle bag full of cash. Since TI and Tiny were headed to LA with their oldest daughter due to a record deal the group she's in, OMG Girlz, were going to sign they decided to take the boys and see if they could get into acting.

At work, often times we talk about reality TV shows. One of my coworkers who is a mother said the talk about money and the boys working, earning their own money when they are only 3 and 7 rubbed her the wrong way. She felt the family was materialistic and that is what they were stressing to their children. My take on it was totally different. I realize that there are other child stars, I referenced Will and Jada Smith's children, as well as countless others. So the thought of a child acting and making money isn't something new. If that makes TI and Tiny materialistic and money focused what does that say about other families?

TI and Tiny don't need the money they are independently wealthy nevertheless they have resources and connections that could help start a career for their children. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think about a young black girl I read about who was in grammar school that wanted to take her grandmother's recipe for hair care products, if I'm not mistaken, and start her own business. Her father a business executive was all for it, he quit his job to work for his young daughter.

I recently read an article that stated as soon as a child knows how to ask for money is the time to teach them about money. My co-workers stance is her children don't know about such things and TI's children shouldn't either. Back in the day children didn't know whether they were poor or not. This is a new time and a new day and age. If you have a parent that has large sums of money in the home, you see them on TV, you are now on TV, and you definitely need to be taught about money the right way so that you don't think it grows on trees. On top of that, you definitely should learn how to not only make but manage money. I think of the scripture that says train a child in the way that they shall go and when they are older they won't part from it. So if we are to be training our children, when do we teach them about money and other things? Immediately, straight away but that is just my opinion.

I didn't get the sense from TI and Tiny that they were teaching their children materialism as I watch the show often, TI does his best to teach his children lessons about life in general. Let's be real, they have wealthy parents that drive Bentley's, Mercedes Benz's etc. and they are not sheltered from the real world. When they drive around they see the differences in houses and cars. Now to even think about my co-workers statement poor people back in the day didn't know they were poor because they were surrounded by other poor people!!!!!

Another of my co-workers and I were talking and she spoke about her father being a business executive and her mother being a teacher. She said her parents were financially sound and still are yet, they never taught her about money, saving or credit. It's safe to assume that her parents know about all of those things and manage their finances well yet they didn't teach their children. Our children, “African American”, are at a disadvantage because we don't teach them about money, currency, saving and credit and unless they take finance or accounting class in school or on their own chances are they won't learn.

I think about the children with lemonade stands that are earning money. I think about the Cosby episode where Rudy wanted a new sweater I think it cost $9 and Cliff made her work around the house to earn the money for the sweater. I also think about the fact that Rudy bought the sweater and then it didn't work. I think at the time Rudy was about 10 maybe 12. No matter what age, children can learn about money and earn. Even with my son, he gets an allowance but he earns it by doing the things he is supposed to do without me having to remind him or tell him to do them. When he ask for certain things I make him spend his own money against his will most times. Sometimes he spends his money quickly and then ask for something and I ask him where is his money and that is how I introduced saving for a rainy day. More importantly teaching him don’t spend all of your money at one time you never know what else you may want!

We have to teach our kids about saving, investing, checking accounts, CD, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, futures, IRA, 403Bs, and more importantly we need to educate ourselves, we cannot be afraid to learn or shy away from something because we don’t know anything about. In order to bridge the gap we must educate ourselves, we cannot depend on the school system or anyone else to do it, we must seek out the information and the people that are in the know.

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment