Friday, March 9, 2012

HIGHER EDUCATION

HIGHER EDUCATION

For those who don’t know me I have been educated well, maybe not as well as most but fairly well. I attended a Classical Chicago Public School, a private high school, one of the top universities for my field in the nation at the time they were #3, and I also have a Master’s Degree. The adage of go to school, get a good education, and get a job is somewhat misleading.

Do I believe in higher education? To a certain degree, why? Because there are many things about it I don’t understand. For example, if I know I want to be an accountant why do I need to take history classes? Why not allow me to focus in on my major classes early on and allow me to choose elective classes that may spark my interest? Focus on my want to be an accountant and allow me to focus my complete energy to that craft and study as much as I can without having to worry about other classes that once I graduate I may not care anything about.

If someone knows they want to be an accountant, go into finance, become a doctor, engineer, lawyer, nurse, by all means pursue higher education. If you are unsure of what you want to do or what you want to be I would say hold off from going to college or a university. Why waste the money. It would be better for a parent to save the money they would be spending on classes for their child. The child may decide they want to go into business, use the money saved as seed money and then take classes specific to what they want to do.

One huge, major, uberly important benefit of higher education is relationships and networking but many students, I myself, as well miss the boat on that. When pursuing higher education, make friends and get to know people in different majors and across all nationalities. Join clubs and groups outside of what you are doing but that may benefit you in the long run for there is one adage that holds true, it’s not what you know but who you know and that your network determines your net worth.

So for networking purposes and having a specific mission in mind I am all for higher education but I do not see how taking history and quite a few other classes helped me in the here and now. Sure they say you need to be a well-rounded person but let’s be real, they are only teaching us what they want us to know. Let me decide how I want to be rounded and what I want to know, don’t force it on me. If students were able to take their major classes and some choice electives college would only take about 2 years not only that it would save families a lot of money and students a lot in student loans if they have to take them.

Getting student loans, going to college, and graduating with a degree with or without a job but in 6 months or less knowing you already have a bill more importantly graduating in debt is entering the work force half backwards in my opinion. But hey, this country has thrived off of debt and consumerism and that methodology is slowing unraveling and showing itself to be extremely flawed. We have to make sure we are informed and not going along with the status quo when it comes to everything from education to finances.

So my thoughts are go to school, network, get an education, and start your own business/practice. Also make sure you are out there on the golf/tennis course as that is where a lot of business deals are made.

I would love to hear your thoughts, in most of these posts I just give bits and pieces to introduce an idea. I hope you all enjoy them J.

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment