Monday, February 25, 2013

BLACK HISTORY MONTH: FELA KUTI

Last Saturday, I went to see the stage play FELA at the Arie Crown theater.  I had no idea what to expect or no knowledge of who Fela Kuti was before seeing this electrifying, engaging, politically conscious play!

 

From the play, I learned this man Fela attempted to wake up those in his nation, Nigeria, through music and lyrics.  Due to his activism he was a target of government and the powers that be who did not want any changes to the status quo of how Nigeria was/is.

His song Zombie made me think about many of us around the world.  Fela said a Zombie walks, talks, moves, and thinks the way it is told/programmed too.  Now one may be reading this saying to themselves, I'm not a Zombie.  So let me as this, how often do you believe what you hear or see on the radio, TV, or even in history books?  How often do you simply believe without researching or choosing to not believe?




  

 

You can read the lyrics to International Thief here:  http://www.lyricsmania.com/itt_international_thief_thief_lyrics_fela_kuti.html

The production of the play was awesome, the message behind the play intrigued me to want to learn more about Fela Kuti and the struggles of Nigeria.  If you did not attend the play this year in Chicago or wherever you may be WHEN it returns I encourage you to attend.  I believe any child over the age of 14 will appreciate the knowledge.  As it applies to the US government and even my city of Chicago.  It seems those that speak out against government are black balled, killed, made out to be criminals, harrassed, etc.

Read more about Fela Kuti here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fela_Kuti 

He also has an autobiography Fela: The Bitch of a Life by Carlos Moore

Be a blessing and be blessed! Namaste! Peace! Love! Joy! Blessings! Favor! Health! Prosperity! Abundance!

No comments:

Post a Comment