Wednesday, February 20, 2013

BLACK HISTORY MONTH: SUPPORT YOUR OWN

While watching Hidden Colors 2 something hit home for me and it sparked an immediate change in myself.  To loosely quote the movie, an African American went into a Korean beauty supply that sells hair, the AA attempted to sell hair to the Korean shop, they declined.  The AA then offered to sell the hair for half the amount the Korean shop was already paying.  The Korean shop still declined.  The Korean then told the AA we support our own, you all, AAs, buy from anyone.

This is so true, many AAs do shop and buy with anyone.  I immediately went on FaceBook and posted a comment asking for all that know of any AA nail salons or nail technicians.  As I now go to the Asian community to get my nails done, instead of supporting my own.  

Therefore, I've made a conscious decision to support my own.  Ironically, I was speaking to my mother this morning and she mentioned she went to the Brickyard Mall, she walked into a store and didn't notice any AAs working in the store, she asked where the AA employees were, discovered the store had none and she left.  She decided not to shop in that store because they did not employ AAs.

When I think about the state of affairs for the majority of AAs, poor education, poverty, low employment, high employment, I commended my mother.  While her choice to not support won't put that particular store out of business or make them change their policy.  What if more people joined with her and decided to not shop in stores that didn't employ AAs and let them know that is why they aren't shopping/buying from that store or restaurant? What if?

This is absolutely what I'm leaning toward.  One universal language seems to be the almighty dollar.  It is time out for businesses opening up in our communities benefiting and profiting off of us but not contributing anything to our community our causes.  Why do we support these establishments?  Why do we complain and contemplate the state of black America but continue to be an active participant in our own demise?

Yes, I know, I've heard numerous times the stories of poor customer service from AA owned businesses, employees with bad attitudes, people showing up late etc.  But I dare ask other establishments that provide you with poor customer service you are not quick to write them off.  Or the ones that provide you with quality customer service but employ no one or few that look like you therefore in no way do they support the upliftment of your people, why continue to give them your business?

Why not support your own? Provide positive feedback and constructive criticism instead of writing them off and all AA owned business all together?


I know its easier to get your nails done by Koreans but why allow all of these shops to pop up in your community but not employ ANYONE that looks like you?  They aren't making any impact in your community! 

This is not necessarily to put companies out of business, this is an attempt to ensure that AAs get their just due be it jobs, education, services, and that our businesses thrive by supporting our own.  It is time for us to be more selective and think before we make a purchase.


As what I realized is while I'm thinking about the problem, possible solutions, volunteering and giving my time, I am apart of the problem because I rarely support my own and the businesses of those who look like me.

It is time we make a difference and support our own!

Feel free to post comments of AA owned businesses that you are aware of!

Be a blessing and be blessed! Namaste! Peace! Love! Joy! Abundance! Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment