Saturday, March 8, 2014

SPOTLIGHT SATURDAYS ~ HEY G.U.R.A.L.


The Hey GURAL organization was founded April 13, 2010 in Maywood, IL by Crystal Ballenger, 25, and co-founders Marsha and Jina Ballenger.  Hey G.U.R.A.L stands for Girls Under Reconstruction Accomplishing Life. It is a not for profit organization catered to girls ages 11 to 18. They offer positive mentoring and guidance through a variety of activities, workshops, discussions and resources that focuses on the girls specific needs that will help to positively restore themselves within their community. The young girls of today have low self esteem and it is leading to usage of drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancies as well as an overwhelming number of teens with STDS/AIDS. Girls within this organization will know their self worth, they will improve self-esteem, carry themselves with respect and embrace their beauty from inside-out. 


Why did you start your business/not-for-profit? 
I started my business because it was a mission, vision from God. I was in a place in my life where I felt I was stuck, there was a lot going on, I was dealing with depression, college wasn't going as planned. I was dealing with dating violence and molestation. There were girls coming to me for advice. I would give them sound advice but I wouldn't tell them how I could relate to them.  However, I learned that was my mission start an organization so others don't have to go through what I went through. If I could help prevent things that happened to me from happening in someone else life, that's the best thing I could do.  This organization is a reflection of my life.   It allows myself and others that work with our organization to transform lives. We help our gurals navigate through different obstacles and provide a sisterhood.

What services does your business provide? 
Mentoring, Coaching, Counseling, Events, Workshops, Awareness Initiative, Tutoring, Teen Entrepreneurship Program, Media (Hey GURAL Speak life Show), community partnerships, we go into schools in the Chicagoland area and conduct our programs.

What inspired you to go into business for yourself? 
The girls, seeing different girls and women who would come to me for advice. Knowing they were going through something I'd been through and their need for someone to listen. They were and are my inspiration, as well as my sister and mom. My mom and sister immediately jumped in to help with this organization.  They saw my vision and wanted to help.  Being a big sister, my little sister looks up to me  and models everything that I do. Even as a little girl, she always followed me. Knowing I hadn't made very good decisions, I didn't want her to fall into those same steps.  "I promised God before my sister was here, He wouldn't have to worry about her. I would take care of her because I am watching over her.”



What have been some of your challenges as a small business owner? 
I started this organization at a young age, I was 21.  There were some growing pains, I had to learn to separate my personal and professional life.  At the age of 21, I struggled between being social or being an image. It has also been a challenge working with The Board Members, having to trust other people was a challenge because everyone doesn't have the same vision as you do. When it comes down to it, people weren't there when they were needed.

What is the greatest lesson you've learned so far being in business for yourself? You can't stop, you have to have thick skin, perseverance. Everything isn't going to go as you originally planned. You have to be able to adjust your sails to persevere.

What advice would you give someone looking to start their own business? 
1. Stay consistent 
2. Have a vision and keep it at the fore-front of your mind. There will be things that knock you off whether personally or professionally.  Stay focused on your vision.
3. You are your brand. Everything that you are will be reflected in your brand. 
4. Invest in yourself and your business. 
5. Whenever its a business you have to be committed to other people and not to yourself. You are your worst critic, keep the commitment to other people and that will take you out of the equation. If its about you, you may give up, mind shift and the way you think about your business.

What inspires/motivates you? My vision, growing up I knew what I wanted to be and when I wanted to be it. Having that vision keeps me going. Also, my family, the organization. The people that say I make a difference in their lives.

What is one quote, motto, or scripture that you refer to often? “Mediocrity is not acceptable. Continue to dream big, love, lead, and succeed.”

Is there anything else you'd like to add? JUST DO IT! MAKE SURE THERE IS PURPOSE TO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO!

To learn more about Hey G.U.R.A.L, make a donation and/or get involved contact:

Hey GURAL NMC 
Website: http://www.heyguralonline.com 
Phone: 708-928-9890 Email: heyguralz@aol.com
Website: http://www.heyguralonline.com/About%20US.html
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hey-GURAL-NMC/139575742748439  
Peace, Love, Joy, Abundance, Health, Happiness, Success, and Vitality, Namaste!  

If you would like your business featured in Spotlight Saturdays, contact us.

Epiphany Essentials Links
Twitter: @epiphanyessenti https://twitter.com/EpiphanyEssenti
FaceBook: Epiphany Essentials https://www.facebook.com/pages/Epiphany-Essentials/157878129813
Email: epiphanyessentials@yahoo.com 






No comments:

Post a Comment