Thursday, March 20, 2014

T.E.A.C.H. THURSDAYS ~ Part III:The Finale ~ Listening = Learning

3 Ways to Gain Education
The Finale: Education Through Active Listening 

 

In the finale of my series "3 Ways to Gain Education", I will close with the least often way utilized of gaining education. It is learning from others experience.

I use the term "Active Listening" because it is the method of consciously making the effort to hear not only the words that another person is saying but, more importantly, trying to understand the complete message being sent. This method is needed if we are to learn from the mistakes of others.

As humans we rely heavily on the notion of 'well that is them, that won't happen to me.' The problem arises because we did not actively listen to WHY & HOW it happened to them, so that we can avoid it happening to us.

I believe that some of the reasons that people have trouble using Active Listening as a form of education is because it takes trust.
We must trust:
  • The information given is factual.
  • That the sender of the information has our best interest in mind.
  • Our future on an experience that we have not lived ourselves.

Imagine that, trusting your future decisions off another's past decisions...that can't be easy.

The funny part is that if we decide to not listen and make our own choices only to find that we are wrong, we never want to hear I Told You So!

I recall when I was a young man in my 20's and wanted to buy my first car. I had a co-worker named Dewayne, who was about 10 years my senior. He strongly suggested that I don't buy a car that will only take money from me, rather I should invest in a Real Estate property that would pay me monthly.

I was not as Financially educated back then as I am now, so I told him that I needed a car, a nice car so that I could roll in style. That is when he informed me that he owns 4 rental properties and on the 1st of each month has 4 checks waiting for him at home. I was amazed, but still not Actively Listening, so I purchased my very nice car.

One year into my four year lease, I made youthful decisions that resulted in my very nice car being repossessed. To this day, I wish that I would have listened to Dewayne. Now I am in Dewayne's shoes and trying to educate youth on best practices as Entrepreneurs and Business Persons based upon my experiences.

Do you think they will listen??
Enjoy my blog postings? Then listen to me Live on my Talk Radio Show "Own My Own"

Chris Johnson is a resident guest blogger for T.E.A.C.H. Thursdays.  
Chris The Entrepreneur is a husband, father and decorated U.S. Coast Guard Veteran.

Chris' business achievements include:
  • Johnson National LLC- a Success Management Company. We specialize in teaching others to live the Entrepreneur Lifestyle by way of coaching, webinars, publications and much more.

  • "Own My Own" Talk Radio- An exciting LIVE talk radio show specifically tailored for aspiring Entrepreneurs.

He’s the author of the book: "From Resume to Interview: The Guide to Employment Training" Chris shares his expertise and experience with anyone who has a desire to learn from students, aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners. In addition to traditional media, Chris is no stranger to Social Media. He can be found sharing advice on Twitter, Facebook and his own website www.JohnsonNational.com 


To contact Chris: Twitter: @CJ_Entrepreneur or his website above
Peace, Love, Joy, Abundance, Health, Happiness, Success,
and Vitality, Namaste! 

Epiphany Essentials Links

Follow Us on Twitter @epiphanyessenti https://twitter.com/EpiphanyEssenti
Like Us on FaceBook Epiphany Essentials https://www.facebook.com/pages/Epiphany-Essentials/157878129813

No comments:

Post a Comment