Monday, February 21, 2011

WHITES CAN DEPICTS BROWNS BUT BROWNS CAN'T DEPICT WHITES?

I googled this issue as I felt compelled to write about it and some people may not be aware.

A White Supremacist group is calling for a boycott of the movie Thor because Idris Elba a British Brown (some people are telling me we aren't black so I will use brown) man is playing the role of a known white man.

http://newsone.com/entertainment/casey-gane-mccalla/white-supremacists-boycott-thor-idris-elba-role/


Why did this bother me?

Let me see, growing up, the depictions of Jesus that I saw and that are still widely popular today are of a blond hair blue eyed white man. Which is amazing to me as I have not seen many blond hair blue eyed original people from Israel, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, or Egypt. We do have a description of Jesus from the bible "And I turned to see the voice that was speaking with me. And having turned, I saw seven golden lampstands; and in the middle of the lampstands one like the Son of Man, clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His breast with a golden girdle. And His head and His hair were white like wool, like snow; and His eyes were like a flame of fire; and His feet were like burnished bronze, when it had been caused to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters."


I think about the movie the ten commandments that comes on every year and Moses (a Hebrew) is played by a white man Charleston Heston. I go to the story of Cleopatra and how this role was depicted on the big screen and the lead character was white, Elizabeth Taylor, yet she was playing an Egyptian woman. I could go on an on from the Prince of Persia movie to Avatar The Last Airbender which cast white characters to play non-white roles. Nevertheless in those instances it was ok. I guess?

Where was the outcry then and the upset? Is it ok for a white to depict a brown person on the big screen often and regularly but when a brown man, Idris Elba, is cast to play a white fictional character, there is an issue and a boycott?

Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment