Thursday, January 24, 2013

DJANGO UNCHAINED

When I first heard the controversy behind this movie and the commentary from those who saw it, I had mixed emotions and feelings.  My decision on wanting to see the movie began to waiver BUT I took the time to watch the movie the other day and I absolutely enjoyed this movie.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect everyone in that regard.  After seeing the movie however, I don't understand what Spike Lee is so upset about.  The use of  the word nigger?  Nigger and boy were used interchangeably to address Django and other black male slaves in the movie but that was a term from what I understand that was used back then and is still used now.

Amazingly, that's all I heard about when hearing Spike Lee's issue with the movie.  Forget the fact the gentleman Django was traveling with Dr. King treated Django like a normal human being should be treated and demanded that all respect Django as well.  Dr. King was smart enough to do and say what was necessary and coach Django in certain situations to keep them both alive.

What truly stood out to me was Django was able to find his wife, buy her freedom, and the two of them rode off into the sunset after he killed almost every white man in the movie!  

Some things about the movie made me question and understand the state of black America a tad bit better today.  I realize a lot of our issues began in slavery and are still ever present today.  Stephen's character bothered me but I understood, he was the typical house nigger.  Happy to be in the house, almost forgetting he is a nigger himself, and made at the freedom of Django and his ability to sleep in the big house in the bed amongst other things.  We were bred to hate each other! 

Listening to Warren Ballentine he was saying how the older slaves disliked new slaves from Africa because they couldn't speak English, the nerve.  Imagine if we all worked together and simply loved one another.  

There was a scene where two slaves were fighting to see who the Mandingo was, they were fighting almost to the death to prove who was the strongest man on the plantation.  That made me question, what if all the potential Mandingo's would have rose up and fought their Masters?  Or what if they would have refused to fight one another and simply suffered their consequences instead of trying to please Massa?

Just a thought, thoughts on the fact that everyone is worried about saving their own hide or afraid to die they will do almost anything.  I don't understand why so many folks are afraid to die but so many claim to want to go to Heaven.  Now don't get me wrong I plan to live to see my son get married and meet my great grandchildren, Most High, willing BUT I believe there are causes we should stand up for and be willing to leave the earth for but I digress.

If you haven't seen Django Unchained I say see it for yourself and check it out.  Don't believe the hype, judge for yourself.  It will give you some insight on then and now.

Be a blessing and be blessed! Namaste! Peace! Love! Blessings! Joy! Health! Prosperity!

No comments:

Post a Comment