Friday, January 14, 2011

FAITH FRIDAY'S - DISCIPLINE NOT DESIRE DETERMINES DESTINY



This morning as my stylist and I were talking about the messages we have been receiving during church service and our own personal growth/development. She quoted something to me,


"Discipline NOT Desire Determines Destiny"


Unfortunately I do not remember the originator of the quote. Now you may ask me how does that tie into Faith?



James 2:18 "But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do"


James 2:22 "You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did."


Faith and works go hand in hand, James 2:17 "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."


I was able to accept that quote and let it marinate in my spirit as it lines up with the Word of God. If you have been following the blog this week it is focused on the importance of the Word that we speak. We also must be mindful of the words that others speak to us and determine if we will allow them to enter into our spirit (heart). We must learn how to rebuke those things that are contrary to and do not line up with the Word of God.



Lets look at one of the famous stories in the bible briefly, David and Goliath:


Goliath said to David 1 Samuel 17:43-44 "43 He said to David, “Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?” And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. 44 “Come here,” he said, “and I’ll give your flesh to the birds and the wild animals!”


David's reply 1 Samuel 17:45-47 "45 David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” (Now that took courage and faith, thank goodness God didn't give us a spirit of fear! (2 Timothy 1:7)


David didn't argue with Goliath he simply told him what the Lord God Almighty was going to do through him and to Goliath and his entire army.


When people speak things to you contrary to the Word, speak the Word back and the Word only.


The discipline that must be perfected in order to fulfill our destiny is to speak the Word only, have faith and do not doubt!


Therefore I encourage you to "Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12


Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

2 comments:

  1. Hey Johnai! I love your blog! I guess I really need to watch my words because they could end up anywhere. LOL!!! Thank you for being so diligent as we continue to be pruned on this journey called life. I thank God for you and encourage you to continue giving us food for the mind, body and soul. The quote was taken from Andy Stanley who is the son of television evangelist Charles Stanley. He said, in a Podcast, that this phrase, "Disciple not desire determines destiny", was told to him by his dad constantly. So he lives out that declaration ... and we see what a great teacher and speaker he is today. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the love Stephanie and yes, your words can end up anywhere!

    ReplyDelete