Wednesday, January 19, 2011

FASTING FROM TWITTER!

I attended church service on January 2nd and the Pastor announced starting January 3rd we were embarking on a 21 day fast. I immediately knew I hadn't prepared myself to give up food and I also realized that food wasn't keeping me from hearing from God. So at that moment I decided to give up twitter. Since I was giving up twitter, I also gave up FaceBook and then I decided to throw alcohol in as well.
One week into my fast I attended a Bad Girls Club Season Premiere party to support a friend Tiffany who was on Season 3. I brought a bottle of liquor as requested by Tiffany for all who were attending yet I didn't partake. A friend of hers asked me why wasn't I drinking and I told her I was fasting. Her initial response was for what? I just began to laugh. Then she said it isn't lent. I told her I know and I am not catholic. Considering the atmosphere and purpose I didn't feel the need to go into my purpose for fasting with her at that moment. Nevertheless it was interesting to see her take on fasting, its purpose, and when she thought it should be done.
Giving up alcohol was easier than giving up twitter (as I rarely drink even socially). Admittedly twitter consumed A LOT of my time. Before this fast, I would wake up in the middle of the night roll over and check my twitter. Before brushing my teeth in the morning, I was checking my twitter. On my way to work on the train, in my car, while sitting at my desk at work I would be checking my twitter. Twitter had become somewhat of an addiction to me.
My purpose for giving up twitter specifically was to remove the one thing out of the way that was keeping me from spending daily quality time with God therefore hindering my spiritual growth.
During this time, I have realized that I can live without twitter but I definitely cannot live without God (I knew that already yet I was taking Him for granted). Twitter was replacing God and other things much more important in my life. I do confess though I miss tweeting random things that happen/I experience and cannot wait to get back to that. I also have a twitter account that I only tweet inspiration, uplifting things so if you do tweet feel free to follow @epiphanyessent! I follow TD Jakes, Creflo Dollar, and other uplifting inspirational people/ministers that send a word sometimes that seems tailor made for me. There are also ways to make $ on twitter so there are good benefits to twitter.
The time is nearing for the fast to end and I confess that I have been 100% successful. During this time I have spent more time with God. Instead of reading tweets on the train I read the chapters of the scriptures referenced during church the previous Sunday. I also read my spiritual scriptures that I receive via email.
This fast has definitely drawn me closer to God and has allowed me to see the need for balance and the importance to always put God first.
So if you want to hear from God and draw closer to Him, I encourage you to think about what may be keeping you from Him and considering fasting.
A brief explanation of Christian Fasting from www.allaboutgod.com:


Christian Fasting - What is it? What is Christian fasting? Biblically, fasting is abstaining from food, drink, sleep or sex to focus on a period of spiritual growth. Specifically, we humbly deny something of the flesh to glorify God, enhance our spirit, and go deeper in our prayer life.

However, the purpose of fasting is to take our eyes off the things of this world and instead focus on God. Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God and to ourselves that we are serious about our relationship with Him. Although fasting in Scripture is almost always a fasting from food, there are other ways to fast. Anything you can temporarily give up in order to better focus on God can be considered a fast (1 Corinthians 7:1-5). Fasting should be limited to a set time, especially when the fasting is from food. Extended periods of time without eating are harmful to the body. Fasting is not intended to punish our flesh, but to focus on God. (www.allaboutgod.com)


Be a blessing and be blessed,
Epiphany Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment