Saturday, February 15, 2014

SPOTLIGHT SATURDAY ~ TOASTIN TO LIFE!

This is the 1st Edition of Spotlight Saturdays on Epiphany Essentials Blog.  We are excited to add this feature to our blog and put Small Business Owners and Entrepreneurs under the Spotlight.  The first business owner and company under 


 

Charrise Gordon, CEO of Toast A Mobile Bartending Service headquartered in the greater Chicagoland area.  



Charrise Gordon is a 33 year old entrepreneur, she is Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Toast.  She went full speed ahead with Toast at the age of 32 after leaving a successful career at one of the top banks in the world.  Her idea for the business, however, was planted at the age 30.  Mobile bartending is just the beginning of what the Toast brand has to offer.  Charrise is currently in the process of re-branding and making changes to add other services to grow and expand Toast.  Her Mobile Bartending Service is available for bookings by private clients for special events that include but are not limited to; bridal showers, bachelorette parties, baby showers, weddings, private parties & more.  Toast provides signature alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for all of your event needs. Toast will create an experience like non other.  Toast is not your typical, average mobile bartending company.  Charrise Gordon takes pride in the presentation of everything associated with Toast.  She is friendly, personable, and well versed in mixology.  She provides more than the customary drinks like say a vodka and cranberry.  Toast uses spices and other ingredients to create a cocktail that is sure to tease your palette, leave you satisfied and wanting more!

We recently interviewed the busy Chief Executive Officer, Charrise Gordon and here's what she had to say:

What is Toast!?  Toast creates a personalized experience for our clients. One of my clients told me, “you know no one else is doing this, the way that you do this.”   I pride myself on doing things the way that no one else is, it makes Toast stand out from your average bartending service. That's why I love my logo too I believe it stands out.

Why did you start your business? While working at a bank, I had a customer, he was a bartender.  He worked 3 or 4 days/week and would have $1700 to $2000 alone in tips that he was depositing.  At the time my mom was working for an investment banking firm, she put together a lot of events that involved bartending.  I used to bartend in college, I wanted to make more money, I was tired of my job and wanted extra income. Then I thought about my mom and the idea for the business came in as I had the idea of having a business with corporate clients.

What services does your business provide? Bartending services for any private events, all bartending needs. For more of a flair I do signature drinks based on the event. Signature drinks ~ I get insight on what the event is, whose event it is and the concept or idea for the event.  I ask clients what is their favorite spirit, flavor, spices and also what they don't like. The fun part is being able to create something that appeals to the customer and being able to provide things they have never thought of outside of the simple rum & coke type of drink.



 


 

What inspired you to go into business for yourself? The #1 reason, I hated my J-O-B.  The #2 reason, I was dating someone that lit something under me. He asked me, what's holding you back? Then he told me,  If you don't do it now, you probably never will and you will just give yourself excuses to prolong it (not doing it). Once I saw how easy and fluid he was with it, it inspired me.  He didn't tell me to quit my job but his inspiration helped give me that extra boost.  So I decided to step out on faith and go for it.



What have been some of your challenges as a small business owner? One thing that has been a mistake of mine is that I didn't have a plan. “I would encourage anyone to have a plan.” I am walking in faith and learning as I go along. Have a vision of where you want your business to be and how you want it to grow. Where do you see your business years down the line. The other mistake I made was trusting people a little too much and not trusting myself enough. I think its necessary for the journey as well because you learn so much. My advice trust yourself before you trust anyone else. I will definitely encourage people to research the industry they are starting a business in, study your competition.  Study the market and go from there.


What is the greatest lesson you've learned so far being in business for yourself?  Not having a written plan was not the best choice.  Right now, I am kind of stuck and thinking about the direction I want Toast to go in. I know I don't want to be a 40 year old bartender, my dream is to have Toast for the rest of my life but not to be a bartender. Now I find myself needing to stop and re-create some things, maybe re-brand my business.

What advice would you give someone looking to start their own business?  Have a vision and have a plan to get from beginning to the next 5+ years. “If you can't see yourself and your business surviving for the next 5 years go back to square one.  Your vision may change but at least have one.”



What advice would you give someone looking to go into your industry?  Find a mentor, a really great mentor and do research. Well, first start with research in order to see who is out there, what they do and seek them out.  Be open to learning and experiencing. Realize there is so much more to it than just making drinks.  One of the best things I did do was find a mentor.


What inspires and motivates you?  I am still trying to find inspiration and motivation everyday.  It is becomes harder and harder to find. “When I think about my future, how I want to grow, the things I want to do, how I want my family to live and survive, it makes me want to do more, my current and future family."  Being happy motivates me, being free, and never having to work a 9 to 5 and be under someone else rules. “Once you get a taste of being free, you never want to go back!”


What is one quote, motto, or scripture that you refer to often? 
"If you haven't come close to quitting completely, then you haven't done anything that matters."

Is there anything else you would like to share you believe we haven't covered?  I think its important to never stop learning.  Never take experience for granted.  I think experience whether good or bad, is good just because of the experience.  Keep learning, developing, and growing, never think that you've reached the glass ceiling of your business.  Never feel that you are above learning or have reached the top.  Its important to give back and show someone else the way.  It is important to help others and pass down the knowledge that you have learned.


To book Toast for your next event contact, Charrise Gordon, CEO:
Phone: 855-Toast-99 
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/Toastin2life
Twitter: @Toastin2Life
Instagram: Toastin2Life


Peace, Love, Joy, Abundance, Health, Happiness, Success, and Vitality, Namaste! 

If you would like your business featured in Spotlight Saturdays, contact us.

Epiphany Essentials Links
Twitter: @epiphanyessenti https://twitter.com/EpiphanyEssenti
FaceBook: Epiphany Essentials https://www.facebook.com/pages/Epiphany-Essentials/157878129813
Email: epiphanyessentials@yahoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment